Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Pot proposal ignites attention at debate

The measure on the November ballot to legalize marijuana possession won the support of many of the Congressional and legislative challengers — most of them second-tier candidates…    "    continues at:
http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/articles/pot-proposal-ignites8232-attention-at-debate

The current laws against marijuana are ineffective, even harmful just like alcohol prohibition was nearly a century ago. Legalization of alcohol left strong criminal organizations which merely shifted their source of income to other drugs and vices. I am sure that legalization of marijuana in the same model will have similarly negative unintended consequences, so I oppose Amendment 64. There is a better way.

I propose "medicalization" of marijuana instead. I just made up the word so I had better define it for you. Marijuana should be a legal drug and treated like a drug. Doctors should be able to prescribe it on their own judgment, even for experimental or recreational purposes. The patient should be able to fill the prescription at a regular pharmacy, getting uncontaminated marijuana of known strength and purity.  -- just like other drugs.

Of course, the federal government will have to get out of the way. But that is a killing point for the legalization route as well. Even with full legalization by the state government, the DEA could seize my property, prosecute me under federal law, etc. and the state would be powerless to protect me or my Forth Amendment rights.

Repealing the 17th Amendment would be a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment